The Southwestern Michigan Estate Planning Council was established in 1966 to promote the collaboration and continuing education of professionals, serving the estate planning needs and desires of the the general public.
Purpose and Objectives
1. To effect and promote the coordination and quality of professional services necessary for proper estate planning.
2. To develop the understanding, knowledge and skill of the member professional disciplines in their efforts on behalf of their clients, and the general public, in recognition of each specialized service.
3. To assist the members in keeping abreast of laws, regulations and other developments in the field of estate planning through meeting presentations and the dissemination of information.
4. To promote and encourage the appropriate use of the professional services available from the different member disciplines of this Council.
5. To encourage the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct.
Membership in the Council is open to individuals who are actively engaged in the field of estate planning, properly licensed in their discipline, and in good standing with their professional association(s):
1. Member of the State Bar of Michigan.
2. Member of the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants.
3. Financial Service Professional who is licensed and engaged in the field of insurance, investments and/or financial planning in Michigan.
4. Officer of a State or National Bank, or Trust Company, in Michigan.
5. Planned Giving Specialist of a non-profit organization established to foster charitable giving, or to receive and accept charitable donations or gifts, under the laws of the State of Michigan.